Development applications can be determined by City officers under delegated authority, by Council decision or by referral to the relevant state authority.

The majority of development applications are determined by the City’s Urban Planners under delegated authority of the Council.

Where the City’s Urban Planners do not have the delegation to either determine or approve applications, development applications will be referred to a Council meeting.  Applicants will be notified by the City’s Urban Planners after a full assessment has been completed if the proposal requires determination by Council.

Development Assessment Panels

Development Assessment Panels (DAPs) came into effect on 1 July 2011 under the Planning and Development (Development assessment panel) Regulations 2011.

The City of South Perth is serviced by the Metropolitan Central Joint Development Assessment Panel. The DAP consists of five panel members, three being specialist members and two local government councillors.

A DAP is an independent decision-making body which determines certain development applications in the place of the original decision maker, being the local government authority and/or the Western Australian Planning Commission. 

Under the regulations, each DAP will determine development applications that meet set type and value thresholds as if it were council or state authority.

For information about DAPs please see the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage (DPLH) website.


If you are aggrieved by a decision on an application for development approval, you have a right of appeal. If a delegated officer made the decision, you may choose to have the City's Council review the officer's decision at a Council meeting. Alternatively, you can appeal to the State Administration Tribunal (SAT).

If you are still aggrieved following the Council's review, you may then choose to appeal to the SAT. If the Council or a Development Assessment Panel made the decision, then the only recourse is an appeal to the SAT.

Please note that appeals can only be lodged by an applicant or his/her representative. There are no 'third party' (e.g. neighbours) appeal rights.

Lodging an appeal with State Administration Tribunal

Appeals must be filed with the SAT, and a copy served on the City. Information on the SAT can be found on the State Administrative Tribunal website.