Ernest Johnson Reserve
Ernest Johnson (EJ) Reserve provides recreational, sporting and social opportunities for the local community. The Reserve is located in South Perth, bounded by South Terrace, Sandgate Street, and Hensman Street.
The reserve and its associated buildings are being redeveloped to better accommodate the needs of relevant sports clubs, community groups, the local community and the City, and produce a contemporary, functional and sustainable multi-purpose facility.
The development and implementation of a Master Plan for EJ Reserve was a key initiative in the City’s Strategic Community Plan and Corporate Plan.
The Master Plan aims to accommodate the needs of relevant sports clubs, community groups, the local community and the City, and produce a contemporary, functional and sustainable multi-purpose facility. The Master Plan also aims to incorporate all active reserves; Ernest Johnson Oval, Hensman Park and Sandgate Reserve and existing buildings and stakeholders.
The project will provide benefits to mostly existing users of the reserve, including:
- South Perth Junior Football Club
- South Perth Cricket Club (Suburban Turf)
- West Australian Football Commission Umpires (AFL & WAFL)
- South Perth Branch of the Returned & Services League (currently located in Angelo Street, South Perth)
- South Perth Playgroup
- Girl Guides South Perth
- Rotary Club of South Perth Burswood
- South Perth Little Athletics
- South Perth Junior Cricket Club
- Local residents and passive users of the reserve.
The budget for the project has been set at $10.5 million in the City’s Long Term Strategic Financial Plan 2013-2023. The proposed allocations are $7.5 million in 2016/2017 and $3 million in 2017/2018.