Building Approvals

To obtain building approval, an application must be lodged with the permit authority that has responsibility for the area in which the building is (or is intended to be) located. 

As a permit authority under the Building Act 2011, the City controls the construction, occupation and demolition of buildings and incidental structures through the granting of building, demolition or occupancy permits and building approval certificates and the enforcement of compliance with permits.

Building permits

Building permits are controlled by the Building Act 2011 and the Building Regulations 2012. A permit is required for any building works involving the construction of structures, alterations or extensions and changes to ground levels. Works include (but are not limited to):

  • Commercial buildings including fitouts and refurbishments
  • Residential dwellings including additions and alterations
  • Carports, sheds, garages and workshops 
  • Decking, patios, verandahs, gazebos and pergolas
  • Swimming pools and spas
  • Rainwater tanks
  • Front fences and retaining walls.

A building permit must be obtained before commencing any building work. If you are unsure whether a building permit is required, please contact the City’s Building Services team on 9474 0777.

Demolition permits

A demolition permit is required for the demolition, dismantling or removal of a building or incidental structure from properties in the City of South Perth. 

Occupancy permits

An occupancy permit signifies that a building surveyor is satisfied that the completed building work is suitable for occupation and are required for some classes of building. 

Please note, all conditions of Development Approval must be cleared with the City’s Planning Services team before submitting an Occupancy Permit application and be accompanied by a clearance letter. The City will undertake an inspection prior to issuing an Occupancy Permit however if outstanding matters are identified, a fee will be charged for each subsequent inspection required.

Obtaining copies of existing plans

If you own a property in the City, you can view and/or obtain a copy of the plans which relate to the issue of a building permit by making a request for a document archive search.

Please note that commercial archive search fees are payable for unit complexes of five units or more whether they are single storey, double storey or more. Any business that is operated from a residential property is also classed as Commercial.

Please refer to the fees and charges schedule at the bottom of this page.

Building permits issued by the City of South Perth

The City of South Perth provides monthly updates about building developments in the area to the Australian Bureau of Statistics. For information on building permits issued by the City's Building Services during the previous month, visit the Australian Bureau of Statistics website.

Related documents


Related fees

Building and Demolition Approvals

Building Approvals

Building Related Fees

Swimming Pool Licence

Obtaining copies of existing plans

Related fees

Building Archive Information
Description Applicable to Condition GST Cost
Building Plan Archive Search - Residential All Applicants Per Search - Payable in Advance Exc $90.00
Building Plan Archive Search - Commercial All Applicants Per Search - Payable in Advance Exc $138.00

Related fees

Description Applicable to Condition GST Cost
Building Plan - Printing of Plans > A3 Size All Applicants Per Sheet Inc $5.00