The City of South Perth encourages responsible pet ownership. Cat laws aim to reduce the number of unwanted cats in the community and the number that are euthanised each year.

Under the Cat Act 2011, all domestic cats six months and older are required to:

  • Be sterilised
  • Be microchipped
  • Be registered with the local council where the cat is ordinarily kept; and
  • Wear a registration tag, issued by the local government where the cat was registered.

Cat owners who are not compliant with these requirements may be liable for fines of up to $5,000. 

As a responsible cat owner you are encouraged to:

  • Keep your cat confined to your property, especially at night
  • Ensure your cat is easily identifiable with a collar and a name tag
  • Vaccinate your cat.


You can register your cat online via the City’s mySouthPerth portal. You will need to provide the following documentation during the registration process: 

  • Proof of microchipping
  • Proof of sterilisation 
  • Proof of pension card (if appropriate)

Annual registrations expire on 31 October. If you register your cat after 31 May, the annual registration fee will be halved.



Registration renewals

Before you pay your registration renewal, check your details are up-to-date. If your pension details or your pet's microchip or sterilisation details have changed, please complete an Animal Enquiry providing your cat’s name, tag number, description, address and supporting evidence which may include:

  • sterilisation or microchip documents (if changed)
  • pension card details (if applicable)

After completing the online form you will be emailed a registration renewal invoice within 3 business days. Future registration renewal notices will also be issued by email.

Pay your registration renewal

You can pay for your registration on the City's make a payment page. Remember to have your payment reference number handy.


Your local vet can arrange for cats to be sterilised and microchipped and will provide you with proof of each or you can arrange for a City of South Perth Ranger to sight an ear tattoo as proof.

If you are concerned that sterilisation would have an adverse effect on your cat’s health, the City requires notice in writing from a vet confirming this. Please note that a Statutory Declaration is not sufficient. 

If you wish a Ranger to inspect your cat for a tattoo, you must bring your cat in an enclosed cage to the City’s Animal Care Facility at 199 Thelma Street, Como between 12-2pm, Wednesday to Sunday.


A veterinarian (vet), veterinarian nurse or a person with the relevant qualifications from a registered training provider can implant a microchip in your cat.

A person who fails to ensure their cat is microchipped is liable for a fine of up to $5,000. 

Cats will not be registered with the City of South Perth without proof of microchipping and sterilisation. 

Proof of microchipping can be provided with either a copy of the microchip certificate/paperwork or a Veterinary Surgeons Certificate. 

Please note:

No refunds will be issued for cat registrations if your loved one has transferred to another Council or has sadly passed away.

Keeping your animal and others safe

If your cat is found in or on another person’s property, the property owner/occupier may take the cat to the City’s Animal Care Facility where the cat may be impounded.

Breeding cats

A person who chooses to breed cats must apply to their local government for a permit by completing an Application for Approval to Breed Cats. A fee must also be paid as listed under the City's fees and charges schedule

When a cat is sold, the seller must ensure the cat is microchipped and sterilised prior to transfer. If the cat cannot be sterilised due to its young age, a voucher must be issued to the new owner.

Only approved breeders will be exempt from sterilisation laws.

Hiring of traps

Residents of the City may hire cat traps from the City's Animal Care Facility located at 199 Thelma Street, Como. Traps are hired out by appointment only.

  • Traps can be hired on a weekly basis
  • There is a cost to hire and late return fees apply if traps are not returned on time
  • Traps may only be hired by residents of the City of South Perth
  • The hirer must complete and sign a hire agreement form
  • The hirer is to set the trap within their property, not on Local Government land or any other land without permission.

Make an appointment to hire a cat trap

Infringement appeal

Appeal an animal infringement

Related documents

Related fees