The City of South Perth encourages responsible pet ownership. Cat laws aim to reduce the number of unwanted cats in the community and the number that are euthanised each year. Microchipping and registration will also ensure your cat is returned to you if they become lost.
Under the Cat Act 2011, all domestic cats six months and older are required to:
- Be sterilised
- Be microchipped
- Be registered with the local council where the cat is ordinarily kept; and
- Wear a registration tag, issued by the local government where the cat was registered.
Cat owners who are not compliant with these requirements may be liable for fines of up to $5,000.
Cats will not be registered without proof of microchipping and sterilisation. Your local vet can arrange for cats to be sterilised and microchipped and will provide you with proof of each. Alternatively, you can complete a Statutory Declaration or you can arrange for a City of South Perth Ranger to sight an ear tattoo as proof.
If you wish a Ranger to inspect your cat for a tattoo, you must bring your cat in an enclosed cage to the City’s Animal Care Facility at 199 Thelma Street, Como between 12-2pm, Wednesday to Sunday.
Proof of microchipping can be provided with either a copy of the microchip certificate/paperwork or a Veterinary Surgeons Certificate.
To renew your cat registration online, please have your renewal notice in hand.
Pay cat registration renewal
Once you have renewed your registration online, please allow 14 days for your new tag and receipt to be posted to you.
Online payments are not currently available if:
- you are registering your cat for the first time with the City of South Perth (including transfer from another local government area)
- the sterilisation or microchip details have changed from those on your registration renewal notice
- you have recently become a pension card holder.
If any of the above apply, please contact the City on 9474 0777 for further information. To find out more about payment options, visit the Make a Payment page of the website.
No refunds will be issued for cat registrations if your loved one has transferred to another Council or has sadly passed away.
Sterilisation and microchipping
Microchipping of pets is a safe and effective method of ensuring that if they get lost, there is an easy process in place to reunite them with their owners.
If you are concerned that sterilisation or microchipping would have an adverse effect on your cat’s health, the City requires notice in writing from a vet confirming this. Please note that a statutory declaration is not sufficient.
A person who chooses to breed cats must apply to their local government for a permit by completing an Application for Approval to Breed Cats. A fee must also be paid as listed under the City's fees and charges schedule.
When a cat is sold, the seller must ensure the cat is microchipped and sterilised prior to transfer. If the cat cannot be sterilised due to its young age, a voucher must be issued to the new owner.
Only approved breeders will be exempt from sterilisation laws.
Responsible cat ownership checklist
As a responsible pet owner you are encouraged to:
- Keep your cat confined to your property, especially at night
- Ensure your cat is easily identifiable with a collar and a name tag
- Vaccinate your cat.
Some further facts regarding your cat:
- Only a registered cat breeder may have an unsterilised cat
- All cats must be microchipped, sterilised and registered
- There is an option for lifetime registration of a cat.
Please note: If your cat is found in or on another person’s property, the property owner/occupier may take the cat to the City’s Animal Care Facility where the cat may be impounded.
If you have a cat on your property that is causing a nuisance, you can set a trap in your yard. Trapped cats can only be seized by an authorised person. If you trap a cat you must notify the City of South Perth.
For further information, please contact the City on 9474 0777.
Hiring of TrapsResidents of the City of South Perth may hire cat traps from the City's Animal Care Facility located at 199 Thelma Street, Como. Traps are hired out by appointment only. To make an appointment please call 9447 0777.
- Traps can be hired on a weekly basis
- Traps may only be hired by residents of the City of South Perth
- There is a fee involved for the hire of the trap and a late fee if not returned
- Fees and Charges can be viewed below
- The hirer must complete and sign a hire agreement form which will be supplied by the City of South Perth upon collection of the trap
- The hirer is only to set the trap within their property, not on Local Government land or any other land without permission.