Food Business

All food businesses operating in the City of South Perth must be registered. This page contains information about licensing, food business guidelines, food handling training and inspections.

Setting up a new food business

Before constructing or purchasing a food premises or food vehicle of any type, please contact the City’s Environmental Health Services for advice. Food premises and vehicles that are not constructed specifically for food handling may require extensive and expensive modifications.

The construction, operation and maintenance standards of food premises and vehicles are specified in chapter 3 of the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code.

Standards Australia has published AS 4674-2004 Design, Construction and Fit-out of Food Premises. This Standard provides guidance on design, construction and fit-out criteria for new food premises and for the renovation or alteration of existing food premises.

The Food Act 2008 and Food Regulations 2009 require all food businesses to complete a Food Business Notification-Registration Form (fees apply).

The City’s Environmental Health Services conduct risk assessments on all registered food businesses in relation to its food operations or activities. This assessment determines the inspection frequency and the annual fee. 

Before any application for registration is submitted to the City, please ensure that you have the necessary planning and building approvals. Approval must also be obtained from the City’s Environmental Health Services, even where planning approval or building permits are not required, before any new developments, alterations or extensions are undertaken.

Planning requirements

The premises you have chosen may require development approval in relation to the City’s Town Planning Scheme zoning, parking and other issues. If this is the case, an Application for Development Approval may be required to ascertain suitability.

Building permit requirements

You may be required to submit an Application for a Building Permit for:

  • Newly constructed premises where cool rooms and exhaust hood canopies are to be installed; or
  • Where alterations may affect the structural integrity of the building.

Taking over an existing food business

If you are taking over a food business that is currently operating, it is recommended that your settlement agent requests a 'written report' from the City’s Environmental Health Services. A written report advises of the last food safety inspection, any outstanding work orders and fees and charges that are applicable to this business. Before taking over the existing food business, you must submit a Food Business Notification-Registration Form with the required fee.

If you are taking over a closed food business, the premises may require upgrading. Please contact the City’s Environmental Health Services before opening the business to discuss possible requirements. In addition you must submit a Notification/Registration Form with the required fee.

Related documents