Community Rangers

The City of South Perth’s community rangers play a valuable role in community education. They are often the first point of contact for information about the City’s community initiatives and the requirements of state and local laws.

Community rangers are involved in a variety of issues including:

The rangers also operate the City’s Animal Care Facility and a successful re-homing program for stray and homeless animals.

The rangers actively participate in a number of community activities including the RSPCA's Million Paws Walk.


Rangers are also authorised to monitor and enforce compliance with specific Western Australian government legislation and local laws, including:

Emergency Management

An invaluable additional resource for emergency service agencies, our Rangers liaise with WA Police Service; State Emergency Service; Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development; Department of Fire and Emergency Services; Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries; as well as other key agencies to support and assist with emergency incidents as required. Our Rangers also deal with various response and recovery measures in case of an emergency.

City of South Perth After hours service

The City's after hours service ensures that callers receive the same timely, current and accurate information outside business hours that they would receive from our own staff during office hours.

All calls received outside normal business hours are reported to the City the next working day - whether actioned immediately or referred back to us for follow up action.

The City's after hours service is available on 9474 0777, seven days a week.


When to call 000

Only call 000 in an emergency or life-threatening situation, when urgent police assistance is needed, for example:

  • a serious crime is in progress, being witnessed or just committed
  • any situation where life or serious injury is threatened
  • a car accident where people are trapped or seriously injured
  • a serious air, rail or water incident
  • any incident which poses an immediate threat of danger to people or property
  • an explosion or bomb incident or threat. 

When to call 131 444

Call 131 444 for police assistance or attendance and when it is not an emergency, for example:

  • reporting a disturbance or breach of the peace (antisocial behaviour)
  • reporting something which has happened in the past
  • reporting a property-related incident for insurance purposes
  • making a complaint against police or another individual. 

Callers to 131444 will be asked to press '1' on their phones if they require a Police Officer to attend an incident now. If you need to report an incident that does not require immediate Police attendance or for general information you will be asked to press '2'.