This privacy statement tells you how we collect and use information. At the City of South Perth (the City), we value the privacy of our residents, customers and stakeholders, and view the protection of your privacy as an integral part of our commitment towards complete accountability and integrity in all our activities and programs. This privacy statement outlines how we deal with your personal information.
Collection of personal information
The City collects information about our customers and stakeholders in the performance of our services and functions and as required by law. The City maintains a database of properties within the City of South Perth, which includes personal information relating to property owners such as names, addresses, and also records of any complaints and enquiries related to a property.
Personal information is also collected when you give it to us, for example:
- When you join one of the City’s services or facilities (South Perth and Manning libraries, Seniors Centre, George Burnett Leisure Centre, etc)
- Through correspondence, communication and service requests
- Through the Your Say South Perth engagement portal
- When you register for an event or program.
Collecting through our websites
Where our websites allow you to make comments or give feedback we may collect your email address and sometimes other contact details. We may use your contact details to respond to your feedback.
Some services and functions on the City’s websites are delivered and hosted by third parties. These services have their own privacy policies, so when you choose to use these functions, the personal information you provide will be used and stored in accordance with their privacy policies.
By accessing a City of South Perth website, you agree to allow us to collect the following information about you:
- Your IP address
- Your top level domain name (.com, .net, .gov etc.)
- Your Internet browser type
- The date and time of your visit to our website
- The pages you viewed and time spent on each
- Documents downloaded
- How you accessed our site (such as thorough a link on a referring site or search engine).
The data collected is used to record statistics on how people are using our website. Unless required by a law enforcement agency, visitors to our site are not personally identified.
Visitors to our websites need to be aware that there are certain risks associated with the transmission of personal information via the Internet.
Certain pages (online payments), include facilities for secure transmission of your information. Those facilities do not extend beyond the specified pages and our advice for caution otherwise applies.
Where appropriate, the City’s website contains links to external sites. When a user clicks on one of these links, they leave the City of South Perth website and are no longer protected by these conditions. The City takes no responsibility for the security, accuracy of content or privacy facilities of external sites. It is recommended that individuals read other sites’ privacy information to make their own assessments about information security.
Cookies and website analytics
The information collected by these tools may include the IP address of the device you are using and information about sites that IP address has come from, the pages accessed on our site and the next site visited. We use the information to maintain, secure and improve our websites and to enhance your experience when using them. In relation to Google Analytics you can opt out of the collection of this information using the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
The City of South Perth uses social media sites to share and promote its services and functions. When you communicate with us using these services we may collect your personal information, but we only use it to help us to communicate with you and the public. The social networking service will also handle your personal information for its own purposes. These sites have their own privacy policies.
Email addresses, telephone numbers
We collect your email addresses, telephone numbers (mobile and landline), address(es) and, sometimes other contact details, for the purposes of contacting you as a ratepayer or resident, when you log a request with the City or when you subscribe to services. We use this information for the purpose of communicating with you in regard to Council business, such as rates, debts, complaints, for sending you updates on the activities of the particular service, conducting surveys for ongoing research and development of our services, and to administer contact lists.
Public internet services
City of South Perth monitors the use our public wi-fi network and the public computers at our libraries in order to maintain security and to prevent or detect criminal or unauthorised use of the City’s computer hardware, software, network or systems.
Disclosure and use of personal information
Any personal information collected by the City will only be used for the purpose for which it has been collected, or for a purpose you would reasonably expect in carrying out the City’s activities and functions. Your information may also be used for ongoing research and development of our services.
The City will disclose customer and stakeholder information to third parties in the following circumstances only:
- to undertake market research for the City in which case the supplier is prohibited from using your personal information except to provide these services to the City of South Perth. The City has a robust procurement process and only engages reputable market research companies
- if, on an application by a person for information under the Freedom of Information Act 1992, the City (or the Western Australian Information Commissioner on appeal), adjudges that disclosure of that personal information would on balance be in the public interest
- as required by a court order
- as otherwise required or authorised by law
- in order to complete the purpose or function for which the information was provided
- for collecting monies owed to the City
- in the recovering of outstanding library materials or monies, through a contracted debt collection agency
- otherwise, only with the consent, express or implied, of the customer or stakeholder.
Information received by the City of South Perth is protected from unauthorised use and disclosure by virtue of specific provisions in the Crimes Act 1914, Public Service Act 1999 and the Public Service Regulations 1999.
The City of South Perth is committed to keeping secure the data you provide us. The City works actively to ensure that information about customers and stakeholders is stored securely and accessed for approved purposes only.
Access and correction
Requests for access to documents that are not publicly available and held by the City of South Perth are handled under the Freedom of Information Act 1992 and can be directed to:
Freedom of Information Officer
City of South Perth Civic Centre
Cnr Sandgate St and South Tce
South Perth WA 6151