About My Rates

The City’s rates are used to fund a range of services including:

  • Foreshore and parks
  • Library services
  • Roads
  • Health
  • Sanitation
  • Building control
  • Operation of recreational facilities.

A separate annual charge is issued for rubbish services for each property. This covers both weekly 240 litre household rubbish and fortnightly recycling collections.

Rates notices are issued by the City in July each year and are due the following month in August. 

In line with the Local Government Act 1995 and the Local Government Financial Management Regulations 1996, Council offers ratepayers a choice of payment of rates by either one, two or four instalments. Please refer to your rates notice for instalment due dates.


Register for eRates to receive future rates notices and instalment reminders by email. Rates notices and instalment reminders will be delivered direct to your inbox and you can choose to pay with any of the payment options available - have your assessment number from your current rates notice handy when you register.
Sign up to eRates


Paying my rates

What are the instalment payment dates? I haven't paid my rates on time, what should I do? Can I make other arrangements to pay my rates? Why do I have to pay penalty interest on overdue accounts?

About my rate charges

What are Local Government rates and what do they pay for? What is the City of South Perth 'Rate in the Dollar'? What is the Gross Rental Value (GRV)? How is the Gross Rental Value (GRV) calculated? How do I appeal the Gross Rental Value of my property? How are my rates calculated? What is the Emergency Services Levy? How is the Emergency Services Levy calculated? What is the Rubbish Service fee? What is the Swimming Pool fee? Can I object to paying my rates? What are Interim Rates? What is the Minimum Rate?

About Concessions, Pensions and Seniors Rates

Where can I find out more? Where can I get information about concession cards?

Change of Address

How do I advise the council of my change of address? How do I advise the council of change of ownership?

Relevant documents