Roads and Footpath Works
Road works are coordinated so as to minimise disruptions to residents, motorists and pedestrians. For example, road works located near residential areas are carried out mostly in the day, and road works near schools and busy roads are scheduled for non-peak hours.
Work on the City’s roads, footpaths and verges can be carried out by a number of different service providers. In general, the City manages the local roads within the local government area and the main, State controlled roads are managed by Main Roads WA.
Roads are condition-rated against a range of criteria to determine the need for, and timing of, preventative or remedial action to prevent loss of service. The ratings address factors such as structure, surface cracking, ride-ability, age and predicted increases in traffic volumes and vehicle classifications.
Civic Heart Development
Construction for the Civic Heart development bounded by Labouchere Rd, Mill Point Rd and Mends St in South Perth commenced in January 2021 and will take approximately three years to complete. The development will include two towers of 39 and 22 storeys, including 309 residential dwellings, commercial and retail tenancies.
The City’s aim is to ensure that the area is safe for pedestrians and drivers during the three year construction period of this private development.
We have initiated a number of measures to ensure the safety of the area:
- Temporary changes to vehicle and pedestrian access
- Temporary changes to parking along Mends Street
- Temporary changes to the speed limit.
Parking along the eastern side of Mends Street has been changed to to 15 minutes to ensure a high turnover of spaces and making access to the Post Office as safe, quick and easy as possible.
The footpath and on-street parking bays along the western side of Mends Street will be closed for the duration of the construction program to allow for safe access and egress to the building site.
Weekly activities in relation to traffic management and associated detours for pedestrians and vehicles will be reported in the weekly updates below.
Current road and footpath works
The City is undertaking road rehabilitation works on Roseberry Avenue between Shaftesbury Street to Jameson Street, South Perth as part of the 2022/23 Capital Works Program.
The City is undertaking road rehabilitation works on Blamey Place between Thelma Street to the cul-de-sac end near South Terrace, Como as part of the 2022/23 Capital Works Program.
Scheduled capital works
Roads and footpath capital work projects for the 2022/23 financial year.
View the 2022/23 Capital Works map of roads, footpath and drainage capital work projects for the 2022/23 financial year.
Road rehabilitation program
- Bunderra Close (Jackson Rd to Cul-De-Sac), Karawara
- Albert Street (Rose Ave to Coode St), South Perth
- Blamey Place (South Tce to Monash Ave), Como
- Fairview Gardens (Roscrea Cl to Kilkenny Cir), Waterford
- South Perth Esplanade East, South Perth
- Shaftesbury Avenue & Collins Street, Kensington
- Lockhart Street (Manning Rd to Paterson St), Como
- Fourth Avenue (Banksia Tce to Landsdowne Rd), Kensington
- South Terrace - Paved Entry off Freeway, South Perth
- Market Street (Collins St to Dyson St), Kensington
- Welwyn Avenue (Hope Ave to Unwin Cres), Salter Point
- Angelo Street (Labouchere Rd to Onslow St) MRRG, South Perth
- Coode Street (Hensman St to Angelo St) MRRG, South Perth
- Henley Street (Ley St to Canning Hwy) MRRG, Como
- Kent Street northbound (Beazley Dr to Jackson Rd) MRRG, Kensington
- Way Road (Mill Point Rd to Canning Hwy) MRRG, South Perth
- Thelma St (McDonald St to Coode St) MRRG, Como
- ROW 121 (Davilak Edgecumbe Clydesdale), Como
- Roseberry Avenue (Shaftesbury Ave to Jameson St), South Perth
- Tate Street (Angelo St to Swan St), South Perth
- Lockhart Street (Davilak St to Thelma St), Como
- Hobbs Avenue (Murray St to Blamey Pl), Como
- Goss Avenue (Manning Rd to Gillon St), Manning
- McDonald Street (Preston St to Thelma St), Como
- Pennington Street landscaping, South Perth
- Angelo Street landscaping, South Perth
Traffic management program
- Bus Shelter Replacement Program, City-wide
- Mill Point Rd/Mends St raised platform & path works, South Perth
- Labouchere Rd/Alston Avenue Black Spot, Como
- Saunders St/Canning Hwy Black Spot, Como
- Downey Dr/Welwyn Ave Black Spot, Manning
- Parking management devices, City-wide
- South Perth Foreshore - Coode Street - bicycle crossing lights, South Perth
- Stormwater pit replacement, City wide
- Kwinana Freeway Foreshore - drainage backflow devices, South Perth
- Queen Street pump replacement, South Perth
- Frasers Lane pump replacement, South Perth
- King Street - sump gates, Kensington
- Ley-Downey drainage works, Manning
- Kwinana Freeway Foreshore river drainage replacement, South Perth
- Godwin Avenue sump retrofit, Manning
Pedestrian and bike path program
- Footpaths - Slab Replacement Program, City-wide