Preparing Food at Home for Sale
If you are thinking about preparing food for sale from home, please contact the City’s Environmental Health Services on 9474 0777 to discuss your proposal. The City of South Perth will only consider low risk foods when granting permission.
Low risk foods
- Cakes, biscuits, muffins and flour products which do not contain potentially hazardous food such as cream, cheese and/or uncooked egg products
- Cake decorating (traditional wedding cakes using fondant decoration only)
- Chutneys, relishes and sauces that are heat treated by boiling or cooking
- Herb vinegars with a pH of less than 4.5
- Repackaging of bulk packaged low risk food products
- Pickled onions
- Food prepared as part of a Bed & Breakfast. (Additional Development Approval may apply).
If you wish to be licenced to prepare low risk food at home for sale, firstly you must apply to the City’s Planning Department for a Home Occupation approval.
Your application for Home Occupation must include:
- A completed Schedule 6 - Application for Development Approval Form
- A floor plan showing food preparation, cooking and storage areas
- A list of all food to be prepared and the ingredients to be used
- The volume of food to be prepared and the frequency of preparation
- Detailed information on the manufacturing process, including each cooking step with temperatures (ºC) and times (min) noted
- The place of purchase of ingredients and the method of transportation
- The storage conditions for raw ingredients and finished products
- Examples of proposed labelling to be used
- Details of the proposed method of sale
- Any further information considered relevant
- A Food Business Notification Registration Form with the required fee
- The home-based business application fee.
The Home based Business Information Sheet contains detailed information about operating a business from home.
A kitchen within a residential premises licenced in accordance with the Food Act 2008 must comply with the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code in respect to Standards 3.2.2 Food Safety Practices and General Requirements and 3.2.3 Food Premises and Equipment.
The commencement of any food handling activities can not occur until after your application has been assessed and approved by the City of South Perth.