DA Application Process

COVID-19 update - Notice of Exemption

Temporary exemptions to the Town Planning Scheme No. 6 are permitted in accordance with the Notice of Exemption issued by the Minister for Planning on 3 April 2020. The notice is in response to the current State of Emergency for the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Further information is available on the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage website.

Click here for the Exemption from Development Approval Self Assessment Form.

Application Process

To obtain development approval, you must lodge an application for development approval with the City of South Perth.

For most types of development approval applications, a reputable architect, draftsperson or town planner should be engaged to prepare and assist with the submission.

The development approval application needs to include:

  • Application for Development Approval Form 
  • Fully dimensioned and scaled submission plans, including a site plan, floor plans and elevation plans. Each plan to be provided on individual pages with the submission
  • A detailed letter explaining any variations to the prescribed requirements
  • Prescribed fee.

Please see the relevant checklist (below) for further details of the information required.

Lodging your Development Approval application

An application can be lodged using one of the following methods:

  • Hardcopy in person at the Civic Centre. Fees are paid on lodgement by cash, money order, credit card or cheque to the Cashier
  • Hardcopy by post to the Civic Centre. Fees are paid by enclosing a cheque (contact the City for a quote)
  • Electronically online using the online DA portal* **. Fees are paid by credit card as part of the submission process (please do not scan and send credit card details online). See the Online DA Lodgement Guide.

*The portal is in pre-launch testing and your feedback is appreciated.
**Applications that are to be determined by the Development Assessment Panel can not currently be accepted via the portal.

Applications can NOT be lodged by email.

Applicants will receive a letter acknowledging receipt of the application shortly after submission. This letter is sent after a preliminary check of the application is completed, and as such, may include a request for additional information or details. Further information may also be requested by the assessing Urban Planner as part of a more detailed assessment process.

Applications that require JDAP approval

Development Approval applications of a value of $10 million or more are determined by the Joint Development Assessment Panel (JDAP). Further details of ‘opt-in’ and excluded applications can be found on the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage website.

At least a week in advance of the proposed lodgement of a JDAP DA, the applicant is to contact the City to arrange a submission meeting with a Senior Urban Planner. The application is accepted once City officers are satisfied that all the relevant information has been submitted. This allows for an uninterrupted assessment process.

More information about JDAP can be found on the Development Assessment Panel page.

Planning Customer Enquiries

One of our Urban Planners is available to attend to general planning enquiries during business hours. Enquiries can be made as follows: 

  • By phone - a message will be taken by the Customer Service Team if the duty Urban Planner is unavailable
  • In person - by appointment at the Civic Centre. Please call to make an appointment
  • In person - from 9.30-10.30am or 3-4pm at the Civic Centre (no booking required)
  • Via Microsoft Teams – please call to make an appointment
  • By email to enquiries@southperth.wa.gov.au

Whilst the urban planning team will maintain the general planning enquiry service, please note that due to disruption to staffing caused by Covid-19, some response and assessment timeframes may be increased.

Related forms

Related documents


Please refer to the checklists in the documents list below for more information on what is required for some of the common types of development approval applications.


What is the difference between development approval and a building permit? Do I need a building permit? Can I lodge a building permit application at the same time? How do I obtain a building permit? How long will my application for development approval take to be approved? Can I view development applications within the City? Do applications over $10 million require additional approval?

Related fees

Development Approvals

DAP Applications

Strata Plan

Planning Advisory Services

Planning Scheme Amendment

Local Development Plan

Subdivision Applications

Contact us

For more information about development approvals, please contact the City’s Planning department.