Stormwater Drainage Approval
The City of South Perth is experiencing urban developments of increasing density. Blocks of land that may once have housed a single dwelling are now being used to house several dwellings or larger residential buildings. Consequently the impervious area of these blocks of land is continually increasing, which results in an increase in stormwater run-off from the properties into the City-owned stormwater drainage network.
This additional run-off puts a strain on existing City-owned drainage infrastructure and, if left unchecked, will require the City to undertake expensive replacement and improvement works.
The quality of stormwater discharged into the Swan and Canning Rivers and the groundwater is also now a source of some concern and efforts must be made to improve the quality of this water to the best of the City’s abilities.
Stormwater drainage approval is required to:
- Limit the effects of high density urban development on drainage infrastructure
- Improve the quality of stormwater entering the lakes, river system and groundwater
- Ensure that the most appropriate form of stormwater disposal is utilised in each area.
Stormwater drainage approval process
- Determine what drainage is required for the proposed building
- Determine the drainage precinct in which the proposed building is located
- Review the acceptable methods of stormwater disposal and the drainage design requirements for the building in the relevant stormwater drainage precinct
- Decide on the method of stormwater disposal to be used
- Design stormwater drainage system and complete application form along with associated relevant forms (please refer to the document links below).
Stormwater drainage guidelines
Stormwater drainage guidelines are available to guide the stormwater drainage application. The guidelines outline the drainage requirements within the City’s eight drainage precincts, industry standards and conditions of approval for various stormwater disposal methods.
Stormwater drainage approval application
A stormwater drainage application must be completed and sent to the City for approval.
Please email the application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject titled Stormwater Application and please include the development address in the subject line.
Private drainage connections and soakwells
The installation of soakwell and private drainage connections require additional forms to be completed and certified by a practicing engineer, and sent to the City.
Forms and guidelines
Application forms and guidelines are available to download below. These forms are available in an interactive format for people with Adobe Acrobat.