The City’s Planning Services initially considers the development application to assess whether it complies with:
- The City's Town Planning Scheme
- The Residential Design Codes of Western Australia
- Any relevant policy, strategy or plan adopted by the Council
- The Local Heritage Inventory
- The City's expectations concerning orderly and proper planning and the preservation of the amenity of the locality.
Depending on the nature of each development proposal, the application may be referred to the City's Engineers, other City departments, the City's Design Advisory Consultants and State Government agencies.
Design Review Panel
The City’s Design Review Panel (DRP) are a specialised group of consultants that provide professional and technical advice to City officers in relation to the design of buildings and related matters. The DRP perform a purely advisory function and do not have any power to make decisions.
The purpose of the DRP is to provide comments and advice to the Council and City officers on the design and site planning of certain development proposals, urban design issues and on other Planning proposals where the City would benefit from their comments and advice.
The City's appointed Design Review Panel (DRP) members are:
- Ms Karen Hyde (Chair), Taylor Burrell Barnett
- Mr Jeff Thierfelder, Edgefield Projects
- Professor Joseli Macedo, Curtin University – School of Built Environment
- Mr Hans Oerlemans, Place Laboratory
- Mr Malcolm Mackay, Mackay Urban Design
- Mr Todd Paterson, KPA Architects.