Roads and Footpath Works
Road works are coordinated so as to minimise disruptions to residents, motorists and pedestrians. For example, road works located near residential areas are carried out mostly in the day, and road works near schools and busy roads are scheduled for non-peak hours.
Work on the City’s roads, footpaths and verges can be carried out by a number of different service providers. In general, the City manages the local roads within the local government area and the main, State controlled roads are managed by Main Roads WA.
Roads are condition-rated against a range of criteria to determine the need for, and timing of, preventative or remedial action to prevent loss of service. The ratings address factors such as structure, surface cracking, ride-ability, age and predicted increases in traffic volumes and vehicle classifications.
Civic Heart Development
Construction for the Civic Heart development bounded by Labouchere Rd, Mill Point Rd and Mends St in South Perth commenced in January 2021 and will take approximately three years to complete. The development will include two towers of 39 and 22 storeys, including 309 residential dwellings, commercial and retail tenancies.
The City’s aim is to ensure that the area is safe for pedestrians and drivers during the three year construction period of this private development.
We have initiated a number of measures to ensure the safety of the area:
- Temporary changes to vehicle and pedestrian access
- Temporary changes to parking along Mends Street
- Temporary changes to the speed limit.
Parking along the eastern side of Mends Street has been changed to to 15 minutes to ensure a high turnover of spaces and making access to the Post Office as safe, quick and easy as possible.
The footpath and on-street parking bays along the western side of Mends Street will be closed for the duration of the construction program to allow for safe access and egress to the building site.
Weekly activities in relation to traffic management and associated detours for pedestrians and vehicles will be reported in the weekly updates below.
Current road and footpath works
The City will be undertaking road rehabilitation work at Salisbury Avenue between Canning Highway and Broome Street, South Perth commencing 19 July 2021 for approximately 2-3 weeks.
Scheduled capital works
Roads and footpath capital work projects for the 2021/22 financial year:
Pedestrian and Bike Path Program
- South Perth Esplanade - Construction of new bike path
- Jarman Avenue, Downey Drive to James Miller Oval Carpark - Construction of new concrete path
Road Rehabilitation Program
- Jackson Road - Kent Street to Walanna Drive
- Pennington Street - Cul-de-Sac
- Thelma Street - Labouchere Road to Melville Parade
- Hobbs Avenue - Throssell Street to Murray Street
- Lockhart Street - Wooltana Street to Davilak Crescent
- South Terrace - Melville Parade to Labouchere Road
- Mill Point Road - Coode Street to Douglas Street
- Barker Avenue - Talbot Avenue to Canning Highway
- George Street - Douglas Avenue to Dyson Street
- Gwenyfred Road - George St to Rathay Street
- Darley Street and Ray Street - Mends St to End of Ray Street
Traffic Management Measures Program
- Abjornson Street near Curtin Primary School - Construction of pedestrian crossing
- Mill Point Road and Mends St intersection - Construction of raised plateau
- Douglas Avenue and Coode Street car park - Construction of raised plateau
Stormwater Drainage Program
- Hayman Road/Dick Perry Avenue - Installation of infiltration devices