Dogs may bark for reasons such as inappropriate confinement, passing distractions, isolation, guarding, anxiety, discomfort and attention seeking. Dogs that bark excessively usually do so when their owners are not home.
Owners are responsible for disturbances caused by their dog’s excessive barking. It is important to work out why the dog is barking so the problem can be solved.
Tips to stop your dog barking:
- Don’t reward your dog for barking too much
- Don’t let your dog inside or give it attention when it barks. Instead, give it attention when it’s quiet
- If your dog is barking at people or noises on the other side of a fence, move it to another part of the yard, or put up a barrier to keep the dog away from that area
- A radio playing softly may help to block any noises your dog is barking at
- If your dog barks at regular disturbances such as children walking to school or rubbish trucks, keep it inside or in an enclosed area at these times
- Ensure it has adequate exercise and obedience training
- Make sure it has food, water and shelter from the weather
- If the dog is barking at gaps and cracks in the fence, fill in the gaps
- If it is barking at passers-by, try blocking the dog’s view
- Teach the dog to stop barking on command.
For more information, contact your vet or an animal behaviourist.
What should I do if I'm affected by a barking dog?
Contact the owner of the dog in the first instance, either directly or with a polite letter. If your neighbour has a dog that constantly barks, we encourage you to leave a Dog Barking Neighbour Letter at their property in the first instance.
If the situation persists, you can report the barking dog to Ranger Services.
You are also requested to assist in collecting the necessary evidence by keeping a 'Dog Barking Diary'. The diary needs to be as accurate as possible as it may be used as evidence. You may be called upon to give evidence in court; however, legal proceedings will only be taken as a last resort when all other possible remedies to abate the nuisance have failed.