Local government ordinary elections are held every two years on the third Saturday in October. The last local government elections were held on 19 October 2019.

Moresby Ward extraordinary election

An extraordinary election will be conducted on 28 February 2020 for one Moresby Ward Councillor as a result of the election of Greg Milner as Mayor in the October 2019 elections. The term is two years ending October 2021.

Nominate as a candidate

Nominations for Moresby Ward candidates open Wednesday 15 January and close 4pm, Wednesday 22 January 2020.

Eligibility to vote

may be eligible to be enrolled to vote in the local government extraordinary election if you live in or are an owner or occupier of rateable property in the Moresby Ward within the City of South Perth.


You are automatically enrolled to vote if you are on the State Electoral Roll as at 5pm on Thursday 9 January 2020. If you are not already on the State Electoral Roll and meet the eligibility criteria, or if you have changed address recently, you must complete an enrolment form. 

Enrolment Forms

Electoral enrolment forms are available from the City of South Perth, all post offices, all Australian Electoral Commission offices or the Western Australian Electoral Commission and must be completed and reach a Divisional Returning Officer in Western Australia by 5pm on Thursday, 9 January 2020.

Non-Resident Owners and Occupiers

If you are a non-resident owner or occupier of rateable property in the Moresby Ward and you are on the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll, you are eligible to enrol to vote. If you are not on the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll and own or occupy rateable property in the Moresby Ward you may be eligible to enrol to vote. This applies if you were on the last electoral roll for the City of South Perth prior to May 1996 and have owned or occupied rateable property in the district continuously since this time.

Owners of land who were on the last Local Government roll continue to retain that status until they cease to own the rateable property to which the enrolment relates. Occupiers do not have continuous enrolment and should contact the City of South Perth to confirm their enrolment status. To be eligible to enrol as an occupier, you will need to have a right of continuous occupation under a lease,
tenancy agreement or other legal instrument for at least the next three months following the date of the application to enrol.

Joint Owners and Occupiers

If a rateable property is owned or occupied by more than two people, a majority of the owners/occupiers may nominate two persons from amongst themselves who are on either the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll, to enrol as owner/occupier electors.


A body corporate that owns or occupies rateable property may nominate two people who are on either the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll to enrol as owner/occupier electors. 

Enrolment Forms – Non-Resident Owners and Occupiers Only

Enrolment forms can be obtained from local government and must be lodged with the Chief Executive Officer by 5pm on Thursday 9 January 2020. Further information can be obtained from the City of South Perth.

Election News

News Listings

January 2020

Extraordinary Election call for nominations

Public Notice 6 January 2020

An extraordinary election will be held on Friday 28 February 2020 in the City of South Perth to fill the Moresby Ward vacancy.

Ballot papers

Registered electors in the Moresby Ward should expect to receive their ballot papers in the week commencing 30 January 2020.

For further details about elections, visit Western Australian Electoral Commission website.

Returning Officer

Paul Davison

0418 915 365


Eligibility to vote

Residents Absent Owner Occupiers

Removal of address from the roll

The state electoral roll and owner and occupier roll are publicly available for inspection. If you are of the opinion that the publication of your address would place your safety, or the safety of your family, at risk you can apply to have your address removed from the roll.

If you are enrolled on the state electoral roll, you can make a claim under s51B of the Electoral Act 1907. Fill out the Application for Removal of Address from State Electoral Roll form and send it to:

Electoral Commissioner 
GPO Box 9867 
Perth WA 6848

The below forms are also available at the Civic Centre, South Perth and Manning Libraries. 

Related documents