The City of South Perth encourages responsible pet ownership. Cat laws aim to reduce the number of unwanted cats in the community and the number that are euthanised each year. Microchipping and registration will also ensure your cat is returned to you if they become lost.

Under the Cat Act 2011, all domestic cats six months and older are required to:

  • Be sterilised
  • Be micro-chipped
  • Be registered with the local council where the cat is ordinarily kept; and
  • Wear a registration tag, issued by the local government where the cat was registered.

Cat owners who are not compliant with these requirements may be liable for fines of up to $5,000. 


Cats will not be registered without proof of microchipping and sterilisation. Your local vet can arrange for cats to be sterilised and microchipped and will provide you with proof of each. Alternatively, you can complete a Statutory Declaration or you can arrange for a City of South Perth Ranger to sight an ear tattoo as proof.

If you wish a Ranger to inspect your cat for a tattoo, you must bring your cat in an enclosed cage to the City’s Animal Care Facility at 199 Thelma Street, Como between 11.30am-12.30pm, Monday to Friday.

Proof of microchipping can be provided with either a copy of the microchip certificate/paperwork or a Veterinary Surgeons Certificate. 

Sterilisation and micro-chipping

Micro-chipping of pets is a safe and effective method of ensuring that if they get lost, there is an easy process in place to reunite them with their owners. 

If you are concerned that sterilisation or microchipping would have an adverse effect on your cat’s health, the City requires notice in writing from a vet confirming this. Please note that a statutory declaration is not sufficient.

Breeding cats

A person who chooses to breed cats must apply to their local government for a permit by completing an Application for Approval to Breed Cats. A fee must also be paid. 

When a cat is sold, the seller must ensure the cat is micro-chipped and sterilised prior to transfer. If the cat cannot be sterilised due to its young age, a voucher must be issued to the new owner.

Only approved breeders will be exempt from sterilisation laws.

Responsible cat ownership checklist

As a responsible pet owner you are encouraged to:

  • Keep your cat confined to your property, especially at night
  • Ensure your cat is easily identifiable with a collar and a name tag
  • Vaccinate your cat.

Some further facts regarding your cat:

  • Only a registered cat breeder may have an unsterilised cat
  • All cats must be micro-chipped, sterilised and registered
  • There is an option for lifetime registration of a cat.

Please note: If your cat is found in or on another person’s property, the property owner/occupier may take the cat to the City’s Animal Care Facility where the cat may be impounded. 

Related documents


Jul 6, 2016, 10:22 AM
Order : 2