Parks and Reserves Works
The City aims to provide and maintain high quality facilities for the local and wider community that support amenity, sport, recreation and biodiversity outcomes.
The City’s parks and reserves are being progressively hydro-zoned and eco-zoned to conserve water. The City is provided an allocation by the Department of Water and has to operate within that allocation while still maintaining parks and reserves for the community to use and enjoy.
Hydro-zoning is the practice of grouping types of vegetation into categories with similar water requirements to enable more efficient and responsible use of irrigation water. When designing and managing POS, the different water needs of turf, lawns, trees and low water-use plants are taken into account. Eco-zoning is the conversion of existing turfed areas into native garden areas. Ultimately this allows for minimal water to support an area that once sustained turf, saving large volumes of water.
The City also facilitates effective management of the Swan and Canning River foreshores and improves the amenity value and sustainable uses of all our public open spaces and foreshores.
Current parks and reserves works
New five metre tall lights will be installed at Olives Reserve, South Perth along the footpath connecting the southern section of the reserve to the northern carpark. Installation will commence on 26 April 2021 and will take approximately 3-5 days to complete the works.
The City will be replacing the playground at Sir James Mitchell Park near Hurlingham Road. The works are currently scheduled to commence on 16 March and be completed by 19 March 2021.
The City of South Perth has secured $120,000 in grant funding from Perth NRM to enhance habitat of the Middle Canning foreshore and the adjacent Elderfield Wetlands and drainage infrastructure at Sandon Park in Salter Point.
Scheduled capital works
Parks and reserves capital work projects for the 2022/23 financial year are listed below.
View the Capital Works map for the 2022/23 financial year.
- Axford Barker Reserve playground replacement, Como
- Park Furniture Replacement Program, City-wide
- Isabella/Craigie Reserve playground replacement, Manning
- Parks - Irrigation Replacement Program, City-wide
- Waterford Triangle laneway, Waterford
- McDougall Park Lake WSUD, Como
- Bill Grayden Reserve playground replacement, Como
- Hurlingham Playground replacement, South Perth
- Coolidge Reserve upgrade, Como
- Godwin Avenue sump retrofit, Manning
- Cricket facilities upgrade
- Richardson Park cricket practice nets replacement, South Perth
- Hensman Park court resurfacing, South Perth
- South Perth Foreshore river wall
- Mindeerup tactile surface indicators, South Perth
- Osprey nesting pole, South Perth Foreshore
- James Miller Oval floodlighting, Manning
- Bill Grayden Reserve floodlighting, Como.