Parks and Reserves Works
The City aims to provide and maintain high quality facilities for the local and wider community that support amenity, sport, recreation and biodiversity outcomes.
The City’s parks and reserves are being progressively hydro-zoned and eco-zoned to conserve water. The City is provided an allocation by the Department of Water and has to operate within that allocation while still maintaining parks and reserves for the community to use and enjoy.
Hydro-zoning is the practice of grouping types of vegetation into categories with similar water requirements to enable more efficient and responsible use of irrigation water. When designing and managing POS, the different water needs of turf, lawns, trees and low water-use plants are taken into account. Eco-zoning is the conversion of existing turfed areas into native garden areas. Ultimately this allows for minimal water to support an area that once sustained turf, saving large volumes of water.
The City also facilitates effective management of the Swan and Canning River foreshores and improves the amenity value and sustainable uses of all our public open spaces and foreshores.
Current parks and reserves works
As part of our Elderfield Wetlands rehabilitation project, the City is upgrading the path that runs from Salter Point Pde to the Curtin University Boat Club at Sandon Park.
One of the state’s most popular cycling paths will see improvements as one of the priority actions of part of the City of South Perth and Town of Victoria Park Joint Bike Plan.
The City will be upgrading the South Perth Esplanade cycle path from the intersection of Queen Street and South Perth Esplanade to the intersection of Mill Point Close and Mill Point Road.
Scheduled capital works
Parks and reserves capital work projects for the 2022/23 financial year are listed below.
View the Capital Works map for the 2022/23 financial year.
- Axford Barker Reserve playground replacement, Como
- Park Furniture Replacement Program, City-wide
- Isabella/Craigie Reserve playground replacement, Manning
- Parks - Irrigation Replacement Program, City-wide
- Waterford Triangle laneway, Waterford
- McDougall Park Lake WSUD, Como
- Bill Grayden Reserve playground replacement, Como
- Hurlingham Playground replacement, South Perth
- Coolidge Reserve upgrade, Como
- Godwin Avenue sump retrofit, Manning
- Cricket facilities upgrade
- Richardson Park cricket practice nets replacement, South Perth
- Hensman Park court resurfacing, South Perth
- South Perth Foreshore river wall
- Mindeerup tactile surface indicators, South Perth
- Osprey nesting pole, South Perth Foreshore
- James Miller Oval floodlighting, Manning
- Bill Grayden Reserve floodlighting, Como.