Language development and your child: A speech therapist talk for parents
27 February 2024
Add event to calendar
10.30 - 11.15AM
South Perth Library
Cnr Sangdate St and South Tce, South Perth
Free, booking essential
City of South Perth Libraries
Are you the parent or caregiver of a young child? Come along to this FREE event to hear experienced local speech therapists Jenny Edgar and Anastasija Trajcevska talk about young children's language development.
Jenny Edgar runs Perth Speech Therapy and has a Masters in Speech Pathology and a Degree in Early Childhood and Primary Education. Jenny has also had the added experience of providing specialist support to kids with spelling, writing, reading (dyslexia) and comprehension difficulties within the school setting.
Anastasija works across the lifespan with young children & older adults. She has a special interest in the area of feeding and swallowing, as well as conducting group therapy for children. Anastasija had a degree in Speech Pathology (Hons) in Paediatric Feeding Disorders.
This session will cover both general language development topics, as well as topics of special interest to bilingual families.
Jenny and Anastasija will cover the following topics:
- What language do we expect at the different ages (0 – 6 years)
- How many words should my child be able to speak?
- Vocabulary development
- The importance and value of books
- How to read a book depending on age of child
- Different types of books to be read at different ages
- Intelligibility – how clear should my child’s language be?
- What sounds should my child have?
- What to expect for a bilingual child's language development
This is a child-friendly event. Toys and activities will be provided.