South Perth Young Writers Award
The South Perth Young Writers Award encourages excellence in creative writing and is open to all students from Year one through to Year 12 who live in or attend school within the City of South Perth.
Each year the entries are judged by a panel of librarians, writers and children’s literature enthusiasts. Shortlisted entrants are invited to attend a writing workshop to develop their writing skills and to refine their submitted story which is then re-read before finalists are chosen.
There are five age categories for prose with the Christobel Mattingley Bronze Medallion awarded to the entry judged to be the most outstanding.
Entries will be judged in the following categories:
- Lower Primary Years 1-2
- Middle Primary Years 3-4
- Upper Primary Years 5-6
- Lower Secondary Years 7-9
- Upper Secondary Years 10-12
Entry is open to any school aged child residing in or attending school in the City of South Perth.
Entries for the South Perth Young Writers Award are now open and will close at midnight on 2 May 2021.
How to enter
Entries this year will only be accepted electronically via email.
- To submit an entry please download the editable PDF entry form below.
- Attach the entry form and your work and send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Emails must contain the subject: SPYWA 2021 – Name – Year Level
Conditions of entry
- Entry is open to any school aged child residing in or attending school in the City of South Perth
- Entries must be the entrant’s own original work (i.e. ideas should not be copied from television or books), nor should the entry be edited by another person
- Limit of one entry per child
- Entries must be prose only
- Entries may be of any length up to 1,500 words
- A completed entry form must accompany each entry
- Home address must be completed
- The entrant’s name must not appear on the entry
- Entries are not retained and cannot be returned (photocopied originals are acceptable).
- The organisers reserve the right to publish any winning entries in whole or part thereof.
Prizes may be awarded for first and second in each category, and certificates for highly commended works may also be awarded.
The most outstanding entry for 2021 will be awarded the Christobel Mattingley Bronze Medallion.
All finalists will be notified about the award ceremony in July.
Please note: We regret we are unable to individually notify all entrants of placings. Only finalists will be notified.
There will be two rounds of judging. Shortlisted entrants will be invited to attend a writing session with a published author with the purpose of polishing their story prior to the second round of judging.
For more information or contact South Perth Library on 9474 0800 or email us.
The competition now in its 34th year, encourages excellence in creative writing and is open to all students from Year 1 through to Year 12 who live in, or attend school within the City of South Perth.
This prestigious competition, now in its 34th year, is open to all students from Year one through to Year 12 who live in, or attend school within the City of South Perth.