Language development and your child: A speech therapist talk for parents
6 November 2023
Add event to calendar
10.30 - 11.15AM
2 Conochie Cres, Manning
Free, booking required
City of South Perth Libraries
Jenny Edgar runs Perth Speech Therapy and has a Masters in Speech Pathology and a Degree in Early Childhood and Primary Education. Jenny has also had the added experience of providing specialist support to kids with spelling, writing, reading (dyslexia) and comprehension difficulties within the school setting.
This session will cover both general language development topics, as well as topics of special interest to bilingual families.
- What language do we expect at the different ages (0 – 6 years)
- How many words should my child be able to speak?
- Vocabulary development
- The importance and value of books
- How to read a book depending on age of child
- Different types of books to be read at different ages
- Intelligibility – how clear should my child’s language be?
- What sounds should my child have?
- What to expect for a bilingual child's language development