An update on underground power
Underground power delivers a host of benefits such as improved reliability and supply enhanced streetscapes and visual amenity; reduced street tree maintenance costs for local governments and LED streetlighting.
LED streetlighting benefits include:
- 30 per cent less energy use than standard streetlights
- Reach full brightness instantly
- Contain no mercury or lead, which is better for the environment
- Emit no UV rays or infrared radiation
- Operate at a much cooler temperature, making LED lights a safer option
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions and landfill.
The City’s vision is to have overhead power lines placed underground throughout the entire City. We are well underway to achieving this goal with many suburbs already serviced by underground power lines, or projects under construction and nearing completion.
Western Power is currently finalising the detailed design for underground of power in the Kensington project area. With the increasing demand for infrastructure needed to support the future of electric vehicles (EVs) and EV charging, Western Power recognises a need for additional infrastructure and capacity.
It is expected that the final design for Kensington will be completed along with a cost estimate which can provide an indicative average cost to each property, by August 2023.
Following this, a report will be presented to Council to endorse the project and authorise contract execution. The fee structure will be determined as part of the 2024/25 Annual Budget deliberations.
- Phone 9474 0777
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org