Local Government sports grants

Media Response 7 March 2017

Journalist’s background: Media enquiry regarding how councils help parents with sports costs for children.

We understand some councils offer to cover registration fees for parents who have a healthcare card. We'd also be interested to know of any sports grants available to children.

If it's possible to get statistics of how many of these fees assistance offers and/or grants are given out each year that would be great. We're also looking to find out how parents can apply for them. This story is part of our Local Sports Stars campaign where each of our papers will be profiling local junior athletes over the next few months.

Please attribute the following quotes to City of South Perth Mayor Sue Doherty.

What, if any, financial assistance do you offer parents to help cover kids' sports costs?

The City of South Perth recognises the importance of supporting community development. Funding opportunities are available to community organisations and individuals in a variety of categories.

The City is involved in KidSport, a program facilitated by the Department of Sport and Recreation which enables eligible Western Australian children aged 5 to 18 years to participate in community sport and recreation by offering them financial assistance, up to $200 per child towards club fees. Funding covers the cost of fees to join the nominated sport or recreation club (this may include other related costs as identified by the club).

In addition, the City offers individual community grants through the Community Development Programs.  These assist young people (and any City of South Perth resident) selected to represent WA or Australia with travel costs. The Individual Development Program is open to individuals who are residents of the City of South Perth and have been selected to represent the state or country in interstate or international championships, competitions or significant cultural, academic or community service activities. The maximum grant that may be awarded in this category is $200 for interstate travel/accommodation and $300 for international travel/accommodation.

How many families would you help with grants/financial assistance in a year? (estimate OK if exact stat not available)

Approximately 200 families are assisted each year through the City’s Individual Development Program and through the City’s involvement in the Department of Sport and Recreation’s KidSport program.

How can families access the financial assistance?

Families wishing to access financial assistance to help cover kids’ sporting costs can go to the City’s website where all the relevant forms and criteria are available under the ‘Community’ tab then go to ‘Community Funding.’

Media contact

For media enquiries, please contact the City’s Communications Officer.