Preparing your pets for fireworks
Pet owners are reminded to take extra precautions over the summer period with fireworks scheduled for Australia Day.
The City's rangers suggest the following tips to prepare your pet ahead of the fireworks:
- Ensure all pets are locked inside your home during the fireworks and remove access to garden and outside areas.
- Do not leave your pet outside or restrained, instead create a comfortable space for them and provide their favourite toys and plenty of water and snacks.
- Close curtains and blinds and place a blanket over pens and cages.
- In case your pet escapes, ensure that they are registered with your local Council, wearing their registration tag and have been micro-chipped. It is also recommended that you have an ID tag on your pet with your contact details.
- If you’re at home with your pet, encourage calm behaviour and pacify them with gentle games.
- If your pet has had previous stress during fireworks, speak to your vet who will be able to offer further advice on how to keep them calm.
For further information contact the City’s Animal Care Facility on 9474 0777.
- Phone 9474 0777
- Email email@example.com