To protect your plants and encourage healthy plant growth, spread a layer of mulch over your garden beds. The best mulches are organic and can be made from a variety of garden by-products.
Free mulch is available to residents from the City of South Perth Recycling Centre, located at 199 Thelma St, Como. City of South Perth residents wishing to take mulch must load it yourself from the pile provided at the site.
The benefits of mulching reach below the soil surface and will help to:
- Reduce water loss from soil
- Reduce the need for chemical sprays
- Control soil erosion
- Decrease the amount of plant material going to landfill
- Suppress weed growth by 50 to 70 per cent
- Increase biological activity in the soil – especially worms and good microbes
- Improve plant health and soil structure over time
- Give your garden an immediate facelift, with a natural appearance and soft surface.
What to use
- Compost – generally, the older it is, the greater the benefit to your soil
- Old pine, eucalypt or any other woodchips
- Dry lawn clippings, prunings, leaves and plant material (twigs and thin branches can be shredded using a lawn mower)
- Sawdust, straw and hay.
What not to use
- Weeds and seeding plants
- Organic material exposed to weed killer or pesticides
- Fresh woodchips, which can rob the soil of nitrogen.