Citizen of the Year Awards
The Australia Day WA, Citizen of the Year Awards are presented by Local Governments within local communities across Western Australia on Australia Day. The Patron of the Citizen of the Year Awards is Her Excellency the Governor of Western Australia.
The Awards recognise individuals and organisations making a notable contribution during the year, and/or to those who have given outstanding service over a number of years.
Outstanding contribution and community service includes areas such as; education, health, fund-raising, charitable and voluntary services, business, sport, arts, the environment or any other area that contributes to the advancement and wellbeing of a community.
2018 Citizen of the Year Awards
Tell us who makes your city great - nominate an active citizen. The City of South Perth needs you to tell us who makes your community a better place. The commitment and action of individuals and community groups make the City a great place to live, and you are invited to nominate an outstanding individual or group for the prestigious 2018 Australia Day WA, Citizen of the Year Awards.
These state-wide awards are designed to recognise and reward local residents and groups for their significant contribution to community life and active participation in local projects.
- Citizen of the Year: A person you believe has delivered outstanding service to his or her community
- Citizen of the Year – Youth: A young person you believe has delivered outstanding service to his or her community and to be eligible, the person must be under 25 years of age on January 26, 2018
- Citizen of the Year – Senior: An older person you believe has delivered outstanding service to his or her community and to be eligible, the person must be over 65 years of age on January 26, 2018
- Award for Active Citizenship: A group doing outstanding work or for an event staged in the community during the past year
Nominations will be judged on the following criteria
- Significant contribution to the local community
- Demonstrated leadership on a community issue resulting in the enhancement of community life
- A significant initiative which has brought about positive change and added value to community life
- Inspiring qualities as a role model for the community
Nominations - now open
Nominations close - 31 October 2017
Award winners and nominees will be recognised at the City’s Australia Day celebrations - 26 January 2018
Visit the Citizen of the Year website and complete the nomination form online or;
Collect a hardcopy nomination form from the South Perth Library, Manning Library, Council administration building or George Burnett Leisure Centre. All hardcopy nomination forms must be submitted to Australia Day WA GPO Box 2320, East Perth WA 6892 by 31 October 2017.
2017 Award winners
Celebrating Australia Day 2017, the City’s annual Morning Ceremony officially welcomed 101 new citizens and recognised outstanding members of the local community.