Community Citizen of the Year Awards
Every community has local heroes. Auspire – The Australia Day Council WA, Community Citizen of the Year Awards is your opportunity to acknowledge those making an outstanding contribution to your local community. The Patron of the Citizen of the Year Awards is The Honourable Chris Dawson AMP Governor of Western Australia.
The Awards recognise individuals and organisations making a notable contribution during the year, and/or to those who have given outstanding service over a number of years.
Outstanding contribution and community service includes areas such as; education, health, fund-raising, charitable and voluntary services, business, sport, arts, the environment, social inclusion or any other area that contributes to the advancement and wellbeing of a community.
The Awards reward and recognise individuals and organisations making a notable contribution to community life and active participation in local projects.
- Citizen of the Year: A person you believe has delivered outstanding service to his or her community
- Citizen of the Year - Young: A young person you believe has delivered outstanding service to his or her community and to be eligible, the person must be under 30 years of age on 26 January 2024
- Citizen of the Year - Senior: An older person you believe has delivered outstanding service to his or her community and to be eligible, the person must be over 65 years of age on 26 January 2024
- Award for Active Citizenship: A group doing outstanding work or for an event staged in the community during the past year
Nominations are judged on the following criteria:
- Significant contribution to the local community over and above what is normally expected from their paid employment/business
- Demonstrated leadership on a community issue resulting in the enhancement of community life
- A significant initiative which has brought about positive change and added value to community life
- Inspiring qualities as a role model for the community
For more information or to nominate, please visit the Citizenship Awards website.
2024 Key dates
Nominations for the 2024 Community Citizen of the Year Awards has now closed. All award winners and nominees were recognised at the City's annual Australia Day celebrations on 26 January 2024.
Nominations for the 2025 Community Citizen of the Year Awards will open later in the year.
Past award recipients
A café owner committed to providing real employment opportunities for people with disability was one of several deserving recipients of this year’s Citizen of the Year Awards.
Each year on Australia Day, the City of South Perth has the pleasure of presenting the Community Citizen of the Year Awards.