Bill Grayden makeover unveiled

News Update 3 July 2024
Parks and Reserve works

The City of South Perth is pleased to announce the successful completion of the Bill Grayden Reserve upgrade in Como, a significant milestone of the 2022 Play Space Plan. 

This extensive project, funded by the City’s 2022/23 budget, allocated $640,000 towards upgrading several outdoor play spaces around the City, including the new and improved Bill Grayden playground and surrounding reserve. 

The upgraded playground is now open to the public, featuring an array of exciting equipment including a tunnel slide, rock climbing wall, swings, accessible rocker, sand pit and a sand play table. The addition of new pathways has also significantly improved accessibility for all visitors. 

In addition to the play equipment, the landscaping works have greatly enhanced the reserve’s natural beauty. In March 2024, 240 low-water native trees were planted along the perimeter of the reserve and an advanced irrigation system, which included hydro-zoning, was installed to ensure efficient water use. This initiative will support the health of the newly planted trees and other vegetation, contributing to the City’s tree canopy and wildlife habitat. 

City of South Perth Mayor Greg Milner said the success of this project is a testament to the collaborative efforts between the City and the community. 

"I’m incredibly proud of the collaborative effort that went into this project. The feedback from our residents was crucial in shaping a space that truly meets the needs of local families," he said. 

"Bill Grayden Reserve is now a beautiful, vibrant and inclusive space where families can relax, play and enjoy being outdoors together. This upgrade is a major milestone in our commitment to enhancing public spaces across South Perth." 

Thank you to everyone who provided feedback and participated in the consultation process. 

For more information on the City’s infrastructure projects, please visit our Works and Projects page. 

Media contact

For media enquiries, please contact the City’s Communications Officer.