Fire Break preparation

News Update 22 November 2021

Bush fires can happen anywhere, even in suburban areas. It's important to understand the risks that affect you and know how to minimise those you can control.

In accordance with Section 33(1) of the Bush Fires Act 1954, property owners in the City of South Perth are required to install fire prevention measures and to maintain these measures before 20th December 2021 and until 30 April 2022.

For properties under 2,000 square metres, all inflammable material, dry weeds and grass must be slashed to ground level to a height of no more than 50mm and removed. All Inflammable matter which includes bush (as defined in the Bush Fires Act 1954), timber, boxes, cartons, paper, rubbish and any other combustible or inflammable matter must be removed. This must be maintained until 30 April 2022.  

Where the property is over 2,000 square metres, a bare earth 3 metre wide firebreak immediately inside all external boundaries of the land must be installed. This must be done by removing all inflammable matter and vegetation within the 3 metre wide firebreak, between the ground and 4 metres above the ground. Firebreaks to a minimum width of 3 metres and height of 4 metres are to be cleared immediately surrounding all buildings situated on the land; and any place where inflammable liquids and gas products are kept. This must be maintained until 30 April 2022.  

It is the responsibility of the owner of the land to ensure that firebreaks have been constructed and maintained.  The penalty for failing to comply with this notice is a fine not exceeding $5,000. A person in default is also liable, whether prosecuted or not, to pay the cost of performing the work directed if not carried out by the owner by the date required in this notice.

PLEASE NOTE that burning off is NOT permitted and all waste can be deposited at the City’s Recycling Centre located at 199 Thelma Street, Como by presenting a valid entry voucher or by paying the appropriate fee.

Contact us

For more information, please contact the City.