Asbestos Disposal Day Saturday 23 October
The City’s next Asbestos Disposal Day will be on Saturday 23 October 2021. Between 10am and 2pm you can visit the City of South Perth Recycling Centre, Cnr Hayman Rd and Thelma St, Como, and discard unwanted asbestos. Please ensure it is double wrapped in industrial thick black plastic (min 200um) and securely taped. A maximum of three fence sheets per household will be accepted.
Removing asbestos safely
- Keep asbestos cement sheets wet with water or sprayed with a PVA (polyvinyl acetate) solution during removal
- Wear disposable coveralls and either a class P1 or P2 disposable mask if you are in the asbestos removal area
- Use only non-powered hand tools or portable power tools incorporating dust suppression or dust extraction attachments designed to collect asbestos fibres
- Take care to ensure minimal breakage during removal. Roofing materials must be lowered to the ground, not dropped
- Removed sheets should be stacked on polythene sheeting, then wrapped and sealed into bundles for disposal. Alternatively, place directly in disposal bins that have been lined with polythene sheeting and seal for disposal
- Don’t leave sheets lying about where they may be further broken or crushed
- When stacking removed sheets, take care not to slide one sheet over another, which could release fibres
- Clean or seal roof gutters before removing
- Clean any visible asbestos cement residue remaining in the roof space or within the removal area with an approved vacuum cleaner if necessary
- Keep all waste containing asbestos wet, wrapped in polythene or sealed and remove from the site as soon as possible.
- Phone 9474 0777
- Email email@example.com