Tax help program at South Perth Libraries

Library 17 July 2019

South Perth Libraries are set to help you lodge your tax returns with a free and confidential service supported by the Australian Taxation Office through a network of ATO-trained and accredited community volunteers.

If you need help lodging your tax return, and you’re eligible for the Tax Help program, you can book into one of the sessions at either South Perth Library or Manning Library from mid-July to the end of October. 

Bookings can be made in person at South Perth or Manning Libraries, or over the phone by calling South Perth Library on 9474 0800 or Manning Library on 9474 0822.

Manning Library
2 Conochie Crescent, Manning
10am-4pm, Mondays
22 July to 28 October 2019
Cost: Free, bookings essential

South Perth Library
Cnr Sandgate St & South Tce, South Perth
3-5pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays
23 July to 31 October 2019
Cost: Free, bookings essential

Are you eligible for Tax Help?

You are eligible for Tax Help if your income is around $60,000 or less for the income year and you didn't:

  • work as a contractor, for example a contract cleaner or taxi driver
  • run a business, including as a sole trader
  • have partnership or trust matters
  • sell shares or an investment property
  • own a rental property
  • have capital gains tax (CGT)
  • receive royalties
  • receive distributions from a trust, other than a managed fund
  • receive foreign income, other than a foreign pension or annuity.

What can volunteers help you with?

Volunteers can help you lodge your tax return or amendment online or claim a refund of franking credits. If the ATO volunteers work out that you don’t need to lodge a tax return, they can help you complete a non-lodgment advice.

Book an appointment

If you’re eligible for Tax Help, you will need a myGov account linked to the ATO. If necessary, our volunteers can help you create your myGov account and link to the ATO.

When you are ready to make an appointment, phone South Perth Library on 9474 0800 or Manning Library on 9474 0822.

Remember to bring these to your appointment:

  • your myGov user ID and password
  • your mobile phone to receive your myGov access code
  • your bank account details (BSB and account number)
  • your tax file number
  • an original or amended notice of assessment from any one of the last five years
  • income statements from all sources
  • all your receipts for gifts, donations and work-related expenses
  • details of any child support payments made
  • details of any losses on investments in shares and rental properties (net investment losses)
  • details of your spouse's (married or de-facto) taxable income or a reasonable estimate if you had a spouse at any time during the financial year.

For more information about the tax help eligibility, visit the ATO website.

South Perth Library