Animal Care Facility
Journalist’s background: Media enquiry about rates of dog and cat euthanasia at the City’s Animal Care Facility.
Please attribute the following quotes to the City of South Perth Mayor Sue Doherty.
The City’s Rangers and Animal Care Facility Officers actively rehome dogs and cats from our Animal Care Facility, striving to keep euthanasia rates of animals at an absolute minimum.
Over the past year there has been an increase in euthanasia rates with regards to dogs. This is primarily due to serious dog attacks, where the dog has been euthanised as a result of a dog attack prosecution. Additionally, some owners have surrendered their dogs for euthanasia as a result of an attack which did not go to court.
In relation to cats, a number of feral cats were brought into the Animal Care Facility that were sick, injured or unable to be rehomed, these animals were euthanised.
The City of South Perth encourages responsible pet ownership in the community. There are a number of steps pet owners can take to ensure their animals are safe, secure and ensure they are safely returned if they are lost.
Dog and cat owners must ensure their pets are registered and microchipped. Cats should also be sterilised to help reduce the number of unwanted cats in the community and the number that are euthanised each year.
Animal Care Facility
The City’s Animal Care Facility is shared with the Town of Victoria Park. Additionally, the facility is also used by the City of Gosnells, City of Canning and City of Armadale.
It was refurbished in 2017, and provides the residents of the City of South Perth with:
- Care for impounded animals such as dogs, cats, as well as chickens, rabbits and birds
- Dog and cat registration also microchipping
- Animal husbandry services such as feeding animals, cleaning kennels, providing a safe and secure environment
- Community awareness of responsible pet ownership
- Assisting with lost and found pets
- Updating new pet ownership details and registration requirements
- Adoptions and re-homing of stray pets with other rescue groups Cat boarding.
The facility is equipped with heating and cooling, outside exercise areas for the dogs and play equipment for cats. Fresh linen is provided to all animals to ensure they are kept in a warm safe environment along with good quality food.
- Phone 9474 0777
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org