Southern hemisphere’s most advanced recycling facility opens

Media Release 19 June 2017

The City of South Perth’s waste contractor Cleanaway has opened the Southern hemisphere’s most advanced recycling facility.

The new state-of-the-art Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) in South Guildford has the capability to process up to 250,000 tonnes of recyclable matter each year from the Perth metropolitan area including the City of South Perth. 

Over 550 tonnes of recyclable materials are collected annually from the City’s fortnightly-collection of residents’ yellow top bins. 

Cleanaway’s new high-tech facility is the most advanced commingled recovery system in the country, with state of the art optical sorting technology capable of separating recyclable materials including plastics, metals, paper and cardboard. The new plant, opened in May 2017, and will deliver some of the highest diversion rates in Australia – 97 percent, in comparison to average recovery rates of less than 85 percent.

“This multi-million-dollar facility is a major step forward in both infrastructure and technology and will take recycling in Western Australia to a whole new level of quality and purity. The Perth MRF is a significant investment for Cleanaway in line with our Footprint 2025 plan, and a demonstration of our firm commitment to creating a sustainable future for Australia,” Cleanaway CEO and Managing Director Vik Bansal said.

In addition to the CIty's yellow and green top bin kerb side collections, the City provides one hard waste and two green waste verge side collections per year. City residents and property owners can also dispose of additional waste and recycling at the City’s Recycling Centre throughout the year. The Centre accepts a range of materials free of charge, including all scrap metal (fridges, washing machines and microwaves), clean and uncontaminated cardboard, uncontaminated used motor oil, fluorescent lighting tubes and globes, household and vehicle batteries.

To find out more visit

Media contact

For media enquiries, please contact the City’s Communications Officer.