The City allocates a portion of its annual expenditure each year to the improvement and preservation of public spaces, infrastructure assets and the road network. In addition to municipal funds, external grants are accessed from the State and Federal governments.
Typical capital works projects
- Road works (resurfacing, kerb replacement)
- Traffic management measures (installing traffic calming devices)
- Slab path replacement (replacing slab paths with concrete)
- Installation of new paths
- Bore and pump replacements
- Stormwater drainage (installation of new road gullies and stormwater drains)
- Parks and reserve upgrades (park furniture, playgrounds, etc)
- Building upgrades including public conveniences
View the 2022/23 Capital Works map.
Typical maintenance works
- Cleaning of stormwater gullies
- Sweeping of streets, footpaths, cycleways and car parks
- Street tree pruning and planting
- Mowing of parks & reserves
- Footpath and road repairs (e.g. potholes)
- Street and parking sign replacement or repair (excluding regulatory signs e.g. speed signs)
- Weed spraying (reserves, footpaths, kerb lines)
- Building and facility maintenance and repairs
- Graffiti removal
- Cleaning of buildings and other facilities
- Security maintenance and operations
Other works within the City
Public utility providers and their contractors such as Western Power, Water Corporation, telecommunications (e.g. Telstra), NBN and Atco Gas also work within the City’s verges, roads and footpaths.
Round Six of the State Underground Power Program (affecting Manning, Collier and South Perth) is currently in progress. For more information, visit the Underground Power page.