Canning Highway is a key transport and urban corridor which plays an important role in the City of South Perth. The area adjacent to the highway is very diverse, with a range of housing types and non-residential land uses.
The Canning Highway #ShapeOurPlace project is an ongoing series of studies to understand the area and plan for the future. The City’s draft Local Housing Strategy (2011) first identified challenges for the City between managing high density development along Canning Highway and the adjacent low density residential areas.
The purpose of the Canning Highway #ShapeOurPlace project is to articulate a desirable future character for Canning Highway and adjacent areas, reflecting an appropriate scale and intensity for the strategic context of the place.
- To provide clear guidance for future development situated on or adjacent to Canning Highway
- To recommend changes to the City’s Town Planning Scheme No. 6 to facilitate desirable built form outcomes
- To recommend appropriate dwelling types and building heights for the area
- To facilitate a harmonious transition of density and built form from Canning Highway to the lower density suburban areas
- To protect the amenity of the existing residential areas, both within and adjacent to the study area
- To facilitate an appropriate interface between residential and non-residential uses.
The Canning Highway #ShapeOurPlace project will be delivered through the following stages:
- Appointment of a consultant to undertake Stage One (February 2015)
- Comprehensive site analysis of the area to understand the dwelling types, streetscape character and street presentation based on the current town planning scheme zonings (March 2015)
- Consultation with the community and State Government stakeholders including:
- Phase 1 - to establish an understanding of the community’s desire for the future including what built form (appearance of the buildings) is preferred (March-April 2015)
- Phase 2 - feedback on proposed height concept plans and cross sections for the consolidated study area (July-August 2015)
- Final report and officer recommendations presented to Council (March 2016).
- Appointment of a consultant to undertake Stage Two of the project (June 2016)
- Character Assessment of Kensington and South Perth (June-August 2016)
- Character Study Report (Part A – existing character of the area) open for consultation (October-November 2016)
- Prepare recommendations for town planning provisions to facilitate appropriate medium density development along and within close proximity to Canning Highway and provide for an appropriate transition to adjacent low density residential areas (December 2016-March 2017)
- Character Study Report (Part B – planning for future development) released (June 2017)
- Prepare an access study to support future development in the study area (second half of 2017)
- Draft town planning scheme amendment to implement character study recommendations (second half of 2017)
- Draft town planning scheme amendment open for preliminary consultation (timeframe TBC)
- Council to decide whether or not to proceed with the draft scheme amendment (timeframe TBC).
Future projects to implement the recommendations of stage one will be undertaken subject to City resources.