Town Planning Scheme
The City of South Perth Town Planning Scheme No. 6 sets out the way land is to be used and developed, classifies areas for land use and includes provisions to coordinate infrastructure and development within the local government area.
The City of South Perth Town Planning Scheme No. 6 Text and Scheme Maps should be read together.
You can use online maps to view zoning and building heights for individual properties.
Objectives of the Town Planning Scheme
The overriding objective of the Town Planning Scheme is to require and encourage performance-based development in each of the 15 precincts of the City in a manner which retains and enhances the attributes of the City and recognises individual precinct objectives and desired future character as specified in the Precinct Plan for each precinct.
The general objectives of the Town Planning Scheme are to:
- Maintain the City’s predominantly residential character and amenity
- Introduce performance-based controls supported by planning policies and Precinct Plans
- Facilitate a diversity of dwelling styles and densities in appropriate locations on the basis of achieving performance-based objectives which retain the desired streetscape character and, in the older areas of the district, the existing built form character
- Establish a community identity and ‘sense of community’ both at a City and precinct level and to encourage more community consultation in the decision-making process
- Ensure community aspirations and concerns are addressed through Scheme controls
- Safeguard and enhance the amenity of residential areas and ensure that new development is in harmony with the character and scale of existing residential development
- Protect residential areas from the encroachment of inappropriate uses
- Utilise and build on existing community facilities and services and make more efficient and effective use of new services and facilities
- Create a hierarchy of commercial centres according to their respective designated functions, so as to meet the various shopping and other commercial needs of the community
- In all commercial centres, promote an appropriate range of land uses consistent with the designated function of each centre as set out in the Local Commercial Strategy and the preservation of the amenity of the locality
- Recognise and preserve areas, buildings and sites of heritage value and
- Recognise and facilitate the continued presence of significant regional land uses within the City and minimise the conflict between such land use and local precinct planning.
In line with the Planning and Development Act 2005, the City will review the Town Planning Scheme every five years to address how the Scheme is serving the interests of the community.
Planning and Development (Local Planning Schemes) Regulations 2015 (WA)
New Planning and Development (Local Planning Schemes) Regulations 2015 (WA) were gazetted on 25 August 2015 and took effect on 19 October 2015. If you would like to know more about the Planning and Development Regulations 2015 please visit the Western Australia Planning Commission website.
Deemed Provisions for Local Planning Schemes
The Regulations contain provisions relating to local planning strategies, schemes and scheme amendments. They also contain a Model Scheme Text and introduce a set of deemed provisions for local planning schemes that have automatically formed part of every local planning scheme in the State since the Regulations took effect in 2015.
Town Planning Scheme No. 6
TPS No. 6 building height limits and zoning information by precincts:
Showing 1 - 10 of 31 resultsDocument Name