Click: Be Connected
7 July - 20 August 2020
Do you know someone who is an older member of our community and wants assistance tackling the digital world?
The City's libraries are offering free digital literacy training for seniors at both Manning and South Perth libraries.
How to get started
- Attend a Be Connected information session (drop-in or one-on-one) to set up your online account with our friendly staff
- Select two Be Connected learning sessions you would like to attend
- Register for those two learning sessions by phoning the library
- Attend the Be Connected learning sessions
- Continue to learn independently using the Be Connected website
- If you need more help, book in for a one-on-one Be Connected support session.
Click: Be Connected information sessions
Manning Library - information sessions
- 10am, Thursday 13 August
- 10am, Thursday 8 October
- 10am, Thursday 10 December
South Perth Library - information sessions
- 10am, Tuesday 21 July
- 10am, Tuesday 8 September
- 10am, Tuesday 10 November
Call the library on 9474 0800 to book into a session.
Click: Be Connected learning sessions
Using the Be Connected learning portal you will gain core skills in:
- Staying safe
- Online shopping
- Socialising online
- Using Facebook
- Getting set up for video calling.
Each sessions will run for 60 minutes, with a limit of eight people per session, fully facilitated by an expert. Laptop PC computers are provided. This is a PC specific course.
Session 6 - Tuesday 28 July (Manning)
Staying safe online - Safe passwords
- Why we need safe passwords
- Common password mistakes
- Creating a good password
- Remembering passwords
Staying safe online - Downloading and saving documents
- Downloading from trusted sources
- Protecting yourself from a virus
- What is antivirus software?
- Types of documents.
Session 7 - Tuesday 4 August (Manning) & Thursday 6 August (South Perth)
Staying safe online - Paying safely online
- Payment options
- Which payment option should I use?
- What happens if goods don’t arrive?
- Staying safe online - Avoiding scams and tricks
- The phishing scam
- The unexpected money scam
- Money for nothing scams.
Staying safe online - Help and support
- I suspect I am being scammed
- I think my computer has a virus
- I think somebody knows my passwords.
Session 8 - Tuesday 11 August (Manning) & Thursday 13 August (South Perth)
More online skills - Online shopping overview
- Getting started
- Payment methods
- Consumer rights.
More online skills - Socialising online
- Connecting and sharing
- Choosing the right network
- What does a social network look like?
Session 9 - Tuesday 18 August (Manning) & Thursday 20 August (South Perth)
More online skills - Using Facebook overview
- Colin’s Facebook story
- Facebook profiles
- Adding friends on Facebook
- Posting messages
- Making more connections.
Connecting to others - Getting set up for video calling
- Mary’s video calling experience
- What you need
- Using the camera
- Using the microphone and speakers.
For more information, or to book contact South Perth Library on 9474 0800 or Manning Library on 9474 0822.
- Phone 9474 0777
- Email email@example.com