Want to get to know your neighbours better? Streets Alive encourages neighbours to meet in their streets, and get to know one another.
Register as a Streets Alive host and nominate your street, or a section of your street for a gathering. Streets Alive activities may take place in a driveway, front garden, or adjacent park.
Streets Alive activities could include:
- Kids’ play in the street
- A street garage sale
- Morning tea or coffee chat
- Picnic in a local park
- Verge planting or busy bees
- A produce swap or big-batch cooking
- A meal to welcome new neighbours
- Any activity that gets people outside their front doors and chatting to each other.
Benefits of hosting
The benefits of hosting a Streets Alive activity are:
- Getting to know your neighbours and making local connections
- Looking out for each other and feeling safer in your home
- Contributing to community spirit and a sense of belonging.
Support from the City
The City of South Perth can provide Streets Alive hosts with:
- Support to organise your event, including blank invitations, information and advice
- Use of a sports equipment, including bocce, cricket set, badminton and frisbees
- Event resources including ‘Children Playing’ signage and bunting
- Reimbursement for approved purchases up to $100 (with receipt) towards your Streets Alive event.
- Talk to your neighbours if you like, and start to plan a Streets Alive activity for your street
- Aim to include at least four households, but not more than 12 households
- Keep it local – do not publicise your event beyond your street
- Streets Alive gatherings are unique because they take place in a public or semi-public space, i.e. in your front garden, not your lounge room
- If you wish to claim a reimbursement, please contact the City prior to your purchase to determine if it’s an approved cost.